Ninja 300 Track Bike Project – February Update

It’s our first update of our little Kawasaki Ninja 300 track bike project for the year and we’re essentially in the home stretch now. After doing the majority of the mechanical and repair work, it’s pretty much aesthetics left to complete and that means installing and prettying up our fairings – as well as a run on the dyno to accommodate our new exhaust system and air filter.

IMG_7713

But that’s still a few months off as we find time to go through those last steps. What we have done since our last update is just tidy up a few things here and there. Firstly we’ve added some protection by way of left and right engine crash covers from R&G – not that we intend on laying our precious over.

IMG_7724

We’ve also installed an R&G exhaust hanger where the passenger foot pegs previously hung. We still need to find an appropriate bolt to connect the exhaust to it, though.

IMG_7720

Brand new brake pads from Versah have been installed front and rear and were chosen because they provide excellent initial bite – something you want from the fairly average braking system that comes standard on the Ninja 300. Also in the stopping department we replaced the stock brake line with a braided one from Hel Performance but only at the front.

IMG_7728

The horrible stock IRC tyres have also been taken to the tip and replaced with a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II rubber.

IMG_7719

But obviously the biggest change is our fairings. As you can see from the various photos they’re not yet properly fitted but that is something we’ll be doing over the next week or so. Then we’ll prep them for painting and use both paint and decals for the final look.

IMG_7721

As you can also see, our fuel tank has been disconnected and is ready for treatment too. We’ll be stripping the paint back, filling up the small dent and giving it a fresh coat of paint to match the rest of the bike’s new look.

IMG_7727

Ninja 300 Track Bike Project – June Update

This month we installed what will be our one and only major horsepower upgrade for our Ninja 300 track bike – a full exhaust system replacement form TYGA performance. We also recouped a small amount of costs by selling some unneeded parts plus drained the battery by accidentally leaving the ignition turned on overnight. Oops!

One of the great things about spec bike series is that generally the modifications you’re allowed aren’t too expensive. It all adds up to thousands of dollars once your’re done, but at least you’re not competing with people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars alone on engine internals to get a few extra horsepower out of their bike. Instead, we’re left to focus on things like the exhaust and suspension to improve the bikes performance.

And that’s what we’ve done this month by installing a new exhaust system on the Ninja 300. Not only is the pipe design more free flowing, but we don’t have to worry about resonators and catalytic converters either. We went with an exhaust system from TYGA Performance for a few reasons.

Ninja 300 Track Bike Project – June Update

Firstly, I’d had good experiences with the company previously. Secondly, the system is very competitively priced. The system we got with the maggot silencer is $342.47 USD – most full systems from the bigger manufactures range between $500 and $600. Third, despite that great value, the TYGA system performs very well.

This system has previously been independently tested by Kawasaki Racing Australia against a Leo Vince full system. The bike the Leo Vince was tested on had both a freer flowing race air filter and had been tuned for higher octane fuel – the dyno run gave figures of 38.3hp. The bike the TYGA system was attached to was otherwise stock and managed 38.4 hp. We think we a race air filter and perhaps some adjustments to ignition timing with higher octane fuel, we could get over 40hp out of the bike. That would be a 5hp improvement over the stock bike, or a pretty decent 15% improvement in ouput.

To get it working properly however we’re going to have to flash the ECU to deal with all the extra air the engine is now getting. You can see on the picture below a hole in our exhaust (currently sealed) – this is were the O2 sensor will go which will connect to an aftermarket fuel management system like a Power Commander V or Bazzaz Performance Z-Fi. We’ll be buying an ‘autotune’ piggyback unit which will allow on the fly management of the whole system. More expensive in the short term but we’ll save money in the long run by not having to visit the dyno whenever we change something on the bike. It will also mean the engine will perform optimally regardless of ambient temperatures.

Ninja 300 Track Bike Project – June Update

During June we also sold a number of items that we would no longer need for the bike. Things like the rear fender, brake lights, mirrors and so forth. We gambled and put everything on eBay as auctions with no reserve and unfortunately we certainly didn’t get what their value was. All up, we sold about six items (including the exhaust can) for about $200 while their true value was probably closer to $300-$400. Such is life and we now have more room in the garage anyway.

Next month the bike will lay dormant due to other commitments, but August will be fun. We’ll be replacing all the internals of the front forks (springs, valve body, etc) and adjust them correctly for preload, rebound and compression.