Going green might be good for the environment and potentially better for your wallet, but it’s rarely exciting. See the Toyota Prius. But what about an electric motorcycle? What about an electric motorcycle with 200hp and 168 ft/lbs of torque? No, those numbers are not typos.
The Lightning LS-218 as its known comes out of Lightning Motors Corp. in California. While you probably haven’t heard of them before, they developed their first electric sports bike way back in 2006. Last year, their electric sports bike entry at Pikes Peak won against a field of traditional internal combustion engine bikes.
Weight wise, while it’s not exactly light-weight at 495 pounds, it certainly isn’t excessively heavy – many mid range bikes weigh the same or even more. The bike certainly won’t be cheap (estimated just under $40,000USD) and with a maximum range of up to 180 miles, it’s still going to cause range anxiety. But what’s so exciting is that at such an early stage of electric motorcycle development, these machines are already outperforming traditional gas powered bikes.
Just imagine what it will be like in a few more years – exciting times ahead. Below are the full specifications released to date:
- None. Direct drive motor.
- IPM liquid cooled 150kw+ 10,500 rpm electric motor. This generates an equivalent of 200 hp and 168 ft/lbs of torque.
Battery Pack options:
- 380V 12kwh battery pack good for 100-120 miles per charge*
- 380V 15kwh battery pack good for 120-150 miles per charge*
- 380V 20kwh battery pack good for 160-180 miles per charge*
Lightning Motorcycle exclusively uses the most powerful and safest best of breed batteries currently available.
30 mins on a quick charger or 120 minutes on level 2 charger.
- 495 lbs
- Öhlins FGRT inverted fork
- NIX30 cartridge internals, TiN surface treatment, billet aluminum radial caliper mountings.
- Fully adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping.
- Billet aluminum swingarm with linear
- Öhlins TTX36 Shock and linkage system
- Adjustment for preload, ride height, high and low speed compression and rebound
- Dual Brembo 320mm disc; Brembo radial-mount forged 4-piston calipers
- 2 Brembo T-Drive 320mm Fully-Floating Rotors
- 2 Brembo Brembo GP4-RX CNC Radial Calipers
WHEELS AND TIRES
- Marchesini forged magnesium 3.5″ x 17″, 120/70ZR17
- Marchesini forged magnesium 6.0″ x 17″, 190/55ZR17
- 32 inches