This month we installed what will be our one and only major horsepower upgrade for our Ninja 300 track bike – a full exhaust system replacement form TYGA performance. We also recouped a small amount of costs by selling some unneeded parts plus drained the battery by accidentally leaving the ignition turned on overnight. Oops!
One of the great things about spec bike series is that generally the modifications you’re allowed aren’t too expensive. It all adds up to thousands of dollars once your’re done, but at least you’re not competing with people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars alone on engine internals to get a few extra horsepower out of their bike. Instead, we’re left to focus on things like the exhaust and suspension to improve the bikes performance.
And that’s what we’ve done this month by installing a new exhaust system on the Ninja 300. Not only is the pipe design more free flowing, but we don’t have to worry about resonators and catalytic converters either. We went with an exhaust system from TYGA Performance for a few reasons.
Firstly, I’d had good experiences with the company previously. Secondly, the system is very competitively priced. The system we got with the maggot silencer is $342.47 USD – most full systems from the bigger manufactures range between $500 and $600. Third, despite that great value, the TYGA system performs very well.
This system has previously been independently tested by Kawasaki Racing Australia against a Leo Vince full system. The bike the Leo Vince was tested on had both a freer flowing race air filter and had been tuned for higher octane fuel – the dyno run gave figures of 38.3hp. The bike the TYGA system was attached to was otherwise stock and managed 38.4 hp. We think we a race air filter and perhaps some adjustments to ignition timing with higher octane fuel, we could get over 40hp out of the bike. That would be a 5hp improvement over the stock bike, or a pretty decent 15% improvement in ouput.
To get it working properly however we’re going to have to flash the ECU to deal with all the extra air the engine is now getting. You can see on the picture below a hole in our exhaust (currently sealed) – this is were the O2 sensor will go which will connect to an aftermarket fuel management system like a Power Commander V or Bazzaz Performance Z-Fi. We’ll be buying an ‘autotune’ piggyback unit which will allow on the fly management of the whole system. More expensive in the short term but we’ll save money in the long run by not having to visit the dyno whenever we change something on the bike. It will also mean the engine will perform optimally regardless of ambient temperatures.
During June we also sold a number of items that we would no longer need for the bike. Things like the rear fender, brake lights, mirrors and so forth. We gambled and put everything on eBay as auctions with no reserve and unfortunately we certainly didn’t get what their value was. All up, we sold about six items (including the exhaust can) for about $200 while their true value was probably closer to $300-$400. Such is life and we now have more room in the garage anyway.
Next month the bike will lay dormant due to other commitments, but August will be fun. We’ll be replacing all the internals of the front forks (springs, valve body, etc) and adjust them correctly for preload, rebound and compression.