Confirming what most expected, Honda has officially announced the CB300F. But perhaps a little more surprisingly, it’s the United States that will get the bike first and at a great price of $3,999 ($400 cheaper than its fully fared brother).
Other than a little less plastic, the bike will be nearly identical to the CBR300R, which is the successor to the popular CBR250R. Looks wise, its virtually a CB500F mini – same exhaust can, same front cowl, same engine shrouds. Nothing too imaginative from Honda, but given the price we shouldn’t complain. The CB300F is also 9 pounds lighter than the CBR300R – amazing how much that plastic weighs.
The only color on offer is red, and worryingly there’s no mention whatsoever about ABS being available even as an option. Given that this is a bike targeted at beginners, it would be beyond stupid for Honda not to make the anti-lock braking system available.
Regardless, it’s good to see a naked beginner bike being offered. Kawasaki should think about making the Z250 more widely available.
Here’s Honda’s full press release:
This lightweight and nimble-handling naked bike offers plenty of fun for beginners and experienced motorcyclists. Featuring a 300-class engine, the new CB300F carries a dash of attitude and independence along with its versatile creds. Whether you’re commuting, zipping around town or headed out for a weekend ride, its roomy ergonomics, great handling and broad powerband make every ride a blast. Thanks to its affordable price tag, adding on a few Honda Genuine Accessories is easy—a simple way to give it that extra bit of flair and make it uniquely your own.
Features and Benefits
* Engine displaces 286cc for responsive power throughout the rev range.
* Derived from the CBR250R engine, a new crankshaft and connecting rod create a longer engine stroke (up to 63mm from 55mm) to add 37cc of displacement.
* PGM-FI fuel injection produces crisp throttle response throughout the rev range.
* Stylish CBR500R-inspired exhaust system features larger internal volume for increased performance, enhanced appearance and a throaty exhaust note.
* Specially configured seat and side covers provide an easy reach to the ground.
* Full LCD multi-function digital meter.
* Affordable pricing: $3999.
* Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.