Less than a day after an early spec sheet was leaked, Honda has made available the full and official specifications for the upcoming 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin – that includes figures for horsepower, weight and importantly suspension travel. There will also be three version of the machine available, the CRF1000L, CRF1000L ABS and CRF1000L DCT.
Here are the key features:
- A steel semi-double cradle frame provides the perfect balance of high-speed stability – also while fully loaded – matched to genuine off-road ability, agility and sheer strength. Mass centralisation – with items like the battery packaged at the rear of the cylinder head – contributes to a low centre of gravity.
- The CRF1000L Africa Twin’s 1000cc parallel twin power plant draws heavily on Honda’s off-road race experience in the form of the CRF250R/450R and CRF450R Rally competition machines, and uses the same four-valve Unicam head design for compact overall dimensions. A lightweight cast camshaft – using the same materials as the CBR1000RR Fireblade – operates the valve train, and twin spark plugs fire the fuel/air mixture in each combustion chamber.
- The six-speed manual gearbox is both lightweight and robust; it uses the same shift-cam design as found on the CRF250R/450R to ensure positive changes. An assist slipper clutch manages the drivetrain on deceleration and downshifts, making for smooth clutch lever operation at any moment of gear change. Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) will be available as an option on the CRF1000L Africa Twin, with the use of a common crankcase ensuring no width is added on the DCT versions.
- Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) will be available as an option, featuring the standard manual mode – allowing the rider to operate gear shifts through triggers on the handlebars – and two automatic modes. D mode offers the best balance of fuel economy and comfort cruising. S mode has now been revised to give extra levels of sports performance, with three different shift patterns to choose from: S1, S2 and S3.
- The CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT is also fully equipped to operate in for adventure, with off-road functionality enhanced by the G switch. Pushing the G switch in any riding mode improves traction and machine control by reducing the amount of clutch slip during gear changes. Further new functionality for the DCT system comes in the form of incline detection, by means of which the gear shift pattern is adapted depending on the grade of any incline to provide optimum control.
As was seen earlier, engine specs are 70kw ( 94hp) @ 7,500rpm and 98Nm @ 6,000rpm. Wet weight starts at 225kg for the base model, increases to 232kg for the ABS model and the DCT model jumps to 242kg. Front fork diameter is 45mm while suspension travel across all three models is 230mm at the front and 220mm at the rear – that puts it just ahead of the KTM 1190 which many feel this model will compete against.
Many will probably be upset at some of those specifications. Horsepower is definitely less than most of the competition but in our opinion is more adequate for an off-road machine. Weight is probably the other issue with the machine – especially when you include DCT, but Honda do make their bikes carry weight quite well so it will probably feel a lot lighter than it actually is. We’ll all find out in a few months when it’s released in any event.
So far, the only pricing is from Honda Europe which states the base model will be €12,100 – certainly more expensive than many were hoping.
2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Specifications
|Engine||Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve Parallel Twin with 270 degree crank and uni-Cam|
|Power||70kw ( 94hp) @ 7,500rpm|
|Torque||98Nm @ 6,000rpm|
|Gear Box||Constant mesh 6-speed MT / 6-speed DCT with on and off-road riding modes|
|Front Brakes||310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminium hub and radial fit 4-piston callipers (*ABS) and sintered metal
|Rear Brakes||256mm wave hydraulic disc with 2-piston calliper (*ABS) and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type Parking
Brake System on DCT model
|Front Suspension||45mm fork, 230mm stroke 4-pot radial calliper, fully adjustable|
|Rear Suspension||220mm stroke, hydraulic spring preload adjustor|
|Front Tire||90/90-R21 tube type|
|Rear Tire||150/70-R18 tube type|
|Wet Weight||228kg (STD), 232 kg (ABS), 242kg (DCT)|
|Tank Capacity||18.8 litres|